How To Recognize Proliferating Phishing Attacks
- Editor's Corner
- How To Recognize Proliferating Phishing Attacks
- Admin Toolbox
- Admin Tools We Think You Shouldn't Be Without:
- Webinars & Seminars
- Microsoft Licensing Boot Camp: Early Bird Registration Closes 5/31/11
- BriForum 2011: Register today - 7/19-21
- Free Desktop Virtualization Seminar
- Tech Briefing
- Steve Ballmer, MS CEO at Developer Forum Tokyo
- Six Rising Threats From Cybercriminals
- What Are Your Peers Doing Regarding CRM?
- World Record 26 Terabits Per Second Data Transmission Achieved
- Can An Open-Source Backer Thrive Inside Microsoft?
- Apple Admits Mac Scareware Infections, Promises Cleaning Tool
- Windows Server News
- 5 Questions To Ask Before Buying Microsoft Licenses
- Preparing For A Hybrid Cloud Move
- Solving The VDI Storage Problem
- Third Party News
- Latest VIPRE Release Announcement
- VIPRE Product And Support
- VIPRE (who?) Tops Anti-Virus Repair
- WServerNews FAVE Links
- This Week's Links We Like. Tips, Hints And Fun Stuff.
- WServerNews - Product of the Week
- NEW Free Tool - SNMP ENABLER for WINDOWS
How To Recognize Proliferating Phishing Attacks
Recently there has been a spate of successful monster-size network hacks. First Epsilon got robbed of 60 million accounts, and Sony was penetrated several times in a row and is still hurting from losing 100+ million accounts. Wow. So it is to be expected that a new wave of fresh phishing attacks will be let loose on your users. Many of those attacks will be at their private residence, (or their private web-mail accounts they check in the office at lunch time) where you have little or no perimeter control.
Combine that with the rapid proliferation of social media and mobile computing, and the only conclusion you can draw is that -people- are your new security perimeter! This means that more and more security becomes a people problem and less of a technical problem. Apart from your existing world-class VIPRE antivirus and soft- and hardware firewall, you need a human firewall too. VIPRE was just looked at by AV-Test GmbH, a German lab specialized in testing AV code, and VIPRE came out as Numero Uno. Check that out in the Third Party News Section.
But how to handle the "human firewall" problem? There are several ways. Send employees regular emails warning them. Remind them in meetings not to click on suspicious things, or send them a quiz now and then. Here is a new slideshow that eWEEK just came out with, would you recognize some of these tricks as scams? Here is the link: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306755951330
(You could of course also automate this end-user security awareness training process for very little money, and super low hassle: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306756089400)
Warm regards, and thank you for being a WServerNews subscriber. No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. Please tell your friends about us.They can subscribe here: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306157235186
email me: [email protected]
FREE SAN Monitor for EMC CLARiiON - Monitor Storage Performance & Avoid SAN Slowdowns
With SAN Monitor for EMC CLARiiON, IT professionals can quickly and easily monitor EMC CLARiiON storage arrays and drill down into LUN inventory details, including LUN size, physical disks, RAID type, total IOPs, I/O response time and more.
Get the free tool here: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306758271026
Admin Tools We Think You Shouldn't Be Without
rDirectory's Community Edition is a pre-configured, easy to use, web-based directory and search engine that downloads in just minutes - and it's absolutely free! http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306758837542
Subscribe to the latest hot e-zine: CyberheistNews: 'Arming you with the facts'. Gets you ammo twice a month to defend your network against cybercrime: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306758779983
Frustrated with gullible end-users causing malware infections? Find out who the culprits are in 10 minutes. Do the Free Phishing Security Test on 100 users!: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306758762200
Webinars & Seminars
Microsoft Licensing Boot Camp: Early Bird Registration Closes 5/31/11
Secure your seat for the Microsoft Licensing Boot Camp being held in Seattle, WA on June 29-30, 2011. Last chance to receive the Early Bird discount and save $200 on the most comprehensive Microsoft licensing class available.
The Directions team of independent experts shows you how Microsoft licensing really works and gives you the concrete knowledge you need about Microsoft licensing. You will learn:
Key Microsoft licensing concepts, terminology and models
- How to evaluate and purchase Software Assurance
- Server & CAL models for the major products, such as Exchange and Windows Server
- Key strategies to follow in your Enterprise Agreement evaluation process
- How to license products under virtualized scenarios
Here is the PDF Flyer with a lot more information: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306759288534
BriForum 2011: Register today - 7/19-21
The most advanced, technical, hands-on desktop virtualization event is returning to Chicago this July 19-21. Independent industry experts, led by Brian Madden, share the latest tips and strategies around desktop virtualization, VDI, application virtualization, and Remote Desktop Services. In addition, technical staff from the top solution providers in the space will be in attendance so you can ask all your questions and try out these technologies. Don’t miss out on this unique opportunity to
interact with hundreds of your peers from across the globe as well to share best practices and lessons learned.
Register today and save! http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306759374786
Free Desktop Virtualization Seminar
Coming to Atlanta, Detroit, and St Louis this June, and 12 other cities throughout the remainder of the year, independent expert and desktop virtualization guru Brian Madden will update you on where the desktop virtualization market is in 2011, focusing on what’s real and what’s not. Spend just a few hours out of the office to take advantage of a live Q&A, peer networking opportunities and tons of valuable information.
Register today! http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306759421980
Steve Ballmer, MS CEO at Developer Forum Tokyo
"We're obviously hard at work on the next version of Windows. Windows 7 PCs will sell over 350 million units this year. We've done a lot in Windows 7 to improve customer satisfaction. We have a brand new user interface. We've added touch, and ink, and speech. And yet, as we look forward to the next generation of Windows systems, which will come out next year, there's a whole lot more coming. As we progress through the year, you ought to expect to hear a lot about Windows 8. Windows 8 slates, tablets, PCs, a variety of different form factors." http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306759740013
However, speaking at an investment conference in New York this week, noted hedge fund manager and Microsoft investor David Einhorn said it was time for the software giant to fire Steve Ballmer. His argument is as familiar as are the increasingly common calls for Ballmer's ouster: Microsoft, the once-dominant tech giant, has surrendered its industry leadership and experienced a decade of stock stagnation. More: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306759786007
Six Rising Threats From Cybercriminals
Hackers are industrious folks -- they stay up late devising new ways to attack individuals and businesses. Watch out for these cyberattacks that can turn smartphones into texting botnets, shut off electricity to homes and businesses, jam GPS signals and more: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306759898133
What Are Your Peers Doing Regarding CRM?
GFI Software and ITIC are conducting a survey on CRM deployments. The aim of this survey is to see if CRM usage is catching on among you, and if not, why not. What are the benefits? What are the impediments? Is it a boon for your sales and marketing initiatives? Is it worth the money or too expensive, too hard to use, not enough of a business case to adopt it? Tell us what you think.
As always, we know that you’re busy and we want to be respectful of your time. This survey should take only a few minutes to complete. All responses are kept confidential. The survey is for informational purposes only. No one will call or Email you with any sales pitches.
Once again, GFI and ITIC are giving away a free iPad and a free iPod to the survey respondents who provides the most insightful response to the final essay question. So be sure to leave your Email address along with your comment within the Essay question response. Once the survey is done, we'll publish the Executive Summary and survey highlights in WServerNews. To further show our appreciation, anyone who completes the survey can get a complimentary copy of the Report once it's published by emailing [email protected]. Here’s the survey link: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306760040433
World Record 26 Terabits Per Second Data Transmission Achieved
With video content consuming ever more bandwidth, the need for faster data transmission rates has never been greater. Now a team of scientists at Germany's Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) are claiming a world record in data transmission with the successful encoding of data at a rate of 26 terabits per second on a single laser beam and transmitting it over a distance of 50 km (31 miles). The scientists claim this is the largest data volume ever transported on a laser beam and enables the transmission of 700 DVD's worth of content in just one second. MORE: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306760156845
Can An Open-Source Backer Thrive Inside Microsoft?
Redmond Watcher Mary-Jo Foley came up with a very interesting article about some one who recently left Microsoft: "In 2008, Microsoft hired Hamilton “Hammett” Verissimo, the founder of the open-source Castle Project, as a program manager on the Microsoft Extensibility Framework (MEF) team in the company’s Developer Division. On May 17, 2011, Verissimo quit Microsoft. People join and leave Microsoft every day. (In fact, the last of the original XBOX founders submitted his resignation from Microsoft this week.) But I was interested in hearing from Verissimo whether it was a conflict in open/closed source philosophies that led to his decision to go. It turns out many of his frustrations are similar to ones I’ve heard shared by those leaving Microsoft whether or not they were in the open-source camp." More: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306760254896
Apple Admits Mac Scareware Infections, Promises Cleaning Tool
As I have predicted many times over the past year, it's finally happened, way later that I originally expected, but there it is. Apple on Tuesday promised an update for Mac OS X that will find and delete the MacDefender fake security software, and warn still-unaffected users when they download the bogus program. The new version installs without the user's password.
more at Computerworld: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306760315604
Windows Server News
5 Questions To Ask Before Buying Microsoft Licenses
Network World came up with this quite interesting costs savings strategy: "Let's face it: Microsoft software licenses are expensive. And that's just the way the folks in Redmond want it. Otherwise, that $62 billion a year revenue stream might drop to a mere $52 billion. But customers shouldn't cry for Microsoft. Instead, if they choose Microsoft products over cheaper open source alternatives, they should take a hard line in negotiations to get as much as they can for as little money as possible.
But managing software licenses may be just as difficult as managing the software itself. That's why Forrester Research just came out with a report titled "Consider These Five Criteria When Choosing a Microsoft Volume Licensing Program." http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306761032092
Preparing For A Hybrid Cloud Move
The notion of hybrid cloud computing is gaining traction, but you won’t get far with this cloud model unless you know it inside and out. Take these key steps into consideration when planning a hybrid cloud leap: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306761179239
Solving The VDI Storage Problem
Storage hungry virtual desktops drive up infrastructure costs, so a number of vendors have come up with money saving options to satiate the demand. Gain insight into the variety of ways you can attack the VDI storage problem in this expert tip: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306761290446
Third Party News
Latest VIPRE Release Announcement
We are very pleased to announce our latest releases for VIPRE Enterprise, VIPRE Enterprise Premium, and CounterSpy Enterprise. This is a very comprehensive update, with a number of enhancements and bug fixes designed to improve the overall functionality, performance, stability, and ease-of-use of the product. The latest versions are as follows:
- Management console: 4.0.4547 (Update 3)
- Agent software: 4.0.4194 (Update 2)
IMPORTANT NOTE: In order to obtain the latest agent software version, existing customers must first upgrade their console to the latest version (4.0.4547). As the new agent software contains updated drivers, please be advised that a reboot of endpoint systems is required after upgrading. Customers running console version 4.0.4359 or prior will not receive the agent software update until the console is upgraded. This is a free upgrade for all customers with a current maintenance agreement. The headline features for these updates include:
Foreign Languages (*)
- Introduces German and Italian language option for the VIPRE Site Service (VSS) and agents.
- Agent languages can be defined on a per-policy basis, allowing admins to take advantage of multi-language agents via a single console.
(*) Foreign languages apply to VIPRE Enterprise and VIPRE Enterprise Premium.
Hybrid Agent Support
- Beta agents can now be easily installed via the console at a policy level, allowing administrators to easily install/upgrade agents to beta versions upon availability.
- In VIPRE Enterprise Premium, an added convenience feature will allow administrators to deploy either a VIPRE Enterprise Premium or a VIPRE Enterprise (non-premium) agent by policy via a single console.
VSS Update Scheduling
- Administrators can now specify exact times that the VIPRE Site Service will check for definition updates. This is beneficial for sites that are constrained by low-bandwidth connectivity, as well as regions where bandwidth metering may be a concern.
Improved Detection Technology
- Enhancements to Active Protection allow for improved remediation of malware, including Conficker.
- Improvements have been made to our rootkit engine technology.
- Improvements have been made to the boot-time cleaner.
Usability Improvements for New Installations
- On brand new console installations, an informational dialog will be displayed when the console is opened if less than five agents are installed. This dialog contains references pertaining to agent installation prereqs, firewall configuration prerequisites, information about our competitive antivirus product uninstallers, as well as additional resources.
Default Remediation Handling
- On brand new installations only, the Default policy will no longer be completely passive, and will now quarantine threats out-of-the-box by default. The exceptions to this are the "cookies" and "commercial remote control tools" categories, as these are set to "allow" and "report-only" respectively. Upgrades are not affected.
- A bug in the VIPRE Enterprise Premium agent that could cause Cisco VPN client connectivity issues has been fixed.
- Corrected the NDIS problem where the VIPRE Enterprise Premium agent could cause systems to lose network connectivity after an unspecified interval.
- Corrected the problem in the VIPRE Enterprise Premium agent where web filtering may incorrectly block websites that use HTTP keep-alive technology (i.e.: AOL webmail and other third-party sites.)
- In addition, a number of bug fixes in both the console and agent are included.
For a complete list of enhancements, changes and fixes, please refer to the release notes via the following links. Management console: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306762310113
Agent software: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306762339290
This update can be obtained via the following methods:
- Via the message-of-the-day widget in your Enterprise console by selecting the upgrade link
- Via http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306762413214
Thank you for choosing GFI Software.
VIPRE Product And Support
"I am extremely happy that GFI's acquisition has not degraded the product or the exceptional support (it may have even improved above the already high standards set by Sunbelt). I needed to renew over the phone on behalf of my mother who lives in another city and struggles with doing online renewals herself - stepping through it over the phone with her was just
"I was assisted by John G, Shantell, and Amy J. The quality of your product and support is unmatched. The amazing thing is that I keep having very positive and pleasant support experiences no matter who I am dealing with at the time. You would swear that some companies have a policy of discouraging support encounters by making them as distasteful as possible.
"I am a former McAfee customer, and everything that frustrated me about their offering, your company excels in. Never going back! Keep up the good work. It is inspiring that there are still companies out there for whom excellence is way of life." -- Bruce Lovdal
VIPRE (who?) Tops Anti-Virus Repair
An anti-malware package called VIPRE has topped one of the key tests performed by the German security testing company AV-Test. But Microsoft’s Security Essentials was disappointing. Testing anti-malware software is fraught. Since the effectiveness of security packages varies from day to day depending on what new malware is released, APC magazine has given up trying. Instead, we rely on the test results of some independent security testing bodies whose only job is to test security products.
One of the main testing organizations is AV-Test GmbH, a German company which runs a 20-person lab that regularly tests and certifies consumer and enterprise security software. Here are the results, check out that list, with VIPRE on the TOP SPOT: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306762878830
WServerNews FAVE Links
This Week's Links We Like. Tips, Hints And Fun Stuff
- SUPER FAVE. The future now: The World's first Ultra High Definition Display has 16 times the resolution of HDTV and roughly the same resolution as IMAX: 7,680 × 4,320 pixels. I want one:
- After a longish time of using Twitter, I'm now inviting you to follow me.My feed is a mix of IT security and interesting Faves: Follow @StuAllard
- Terry Moore found out he had been tying his shoes the wrong way his whole life and takes the stage at TED to share a better way. Very funny:
- Students at the University of Maryland build a functional helicopter that is powered only by human exertion. Very cool, and a world record!:
- Like cool watches? Like hacking? Like controlling your watch GUI? Check this
- A cool compilation of 'wins', including an innovative method for washing a
- Tornado Hits Semi Truck In Oklahoma City. Incredible, this tornado power:
- China confirms deployment of online army:
- How VW test their cars:
- Re-entry into the atmosphere has been one of the biggest challenges of space flight. Virgin Galactic uses an innovative system called "feathering" where the wings on the craft rotate 90 degrees upward to achieve more aerodynamic drag on reentry. This is the first time it has been tested in flight:
- Volkswagen Camper Van is back... in tent form!
- TinTek offers the full chrome treatment in a vinyl wrap video at Autoblog:
- HD cameras mounted on each of space shuttle Endeavour's solid rocket boosters capture the launch of the orbiter on STS-134 on May 16, 2011 and the separation and subsequent landing in the Atlantic Ocean. Check the chutes at the end!:
WServerNews - Product of the WeekVisit the Subscription Management section to unsubscribe.
TechGenix.com is in no way affiliated with Microsoft Corp.
Click here for sponsorship information or contact us at [email protected].
Copyright c 2011 TechGenix Ltd. All rights reserved. ##TrackImpression##