TechEd Atlanta 2011 Roundup
- Editor's Corner
- TechEd Atlanta 2011 Roundup
- What Are Your Peers Doing Regarding CRM?
- Admin Toolbox
- Admin Tools We Think You Shouldn't Be Without:
- Webinars & Seminars
- System Center Roadmap TeleBriefing: - 5/26
- BriForum 2011: Register today - 7/19-21
- Free Desktop Virtualization Seminar
- Tech Briefing
- @TechEd: What?s new in Exchange 2010 Service Pack 2
- @TechEd: System Center Orchestrator
- PS: Do Not Let Your Domain Expire With Google Apps. Ouch!
- Windows Server News
- @TechEd: Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit
- @TechEd: Office 2010 and SharePoint 2010 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- @TechEd: Updates to the Microsoft Certified Master (MCM) for Exchange
- Smooth Your Cloud Transition With Existing IT Investments
- The Pros And Cons Of Using Storage Virtualization For Virtual Desktops
- Third Party News
- @TechEd: Best of 2011 TechEd Security Finalists
- @TechEd: VMware Acquires Shavlik
- @TechEd: Three Admin Tools I Liked
- WServerNews FAVE Links
- This Week's Links We Like. Tips, Hints And Fun Stuff.
- WServerNews - Product of the Week
- FREE SAN Monitor for EMC CLARiiON - Monitor Storage Performance & Avoid SAN Slowdowns
TechEd Atlanta 2011 Roundup
I just flew back in from TechEd in Atlanta, and was there for three days. Here are some of my observations. First, it was humongous! It felt a lot bigger than earlier shows, and I estimate there were about 10,000 peoplethere, although Redmond said it was 7,500.
Main topics from a system admin perspective this year were (of course) private and public cloud, Virtual Desktop Architecture using Hyper-V. They announced Forefront endpoint protection 2012 Beta, and MS volume licensing to let you swap iron for clouds, and back again should you so desire, which The Register has a good little summary of: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306156303705
Microsoft will support Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V running the CentOS Linux distro, which is interesting to note. Exchange Server's big news is the updated support scenarios around virtualization. Redmond now allows virtualization of the Unified Messaging server role in Exchange Server 2010 SP1.
And Windows IT Pro Magazine announced the Best of TechEd 2011 Finalists. There are too many to mention so here is the list: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306156345776
There are a lot of other TechEd items in the other sections below.
What Are Your Peers Doing Regarding CRM?
GFI Software and ITIC are conducting a survey on CRM deployments. The aim of this survey is to see if CRM usage is catching on among you, and if not, why not. What are the benefits? What are the impediments? Is it a boon for your sales and marketing initiatives? Is it worth the money or too expensive, too hard to use, not enough of a business case to adopt it? Tell us what you think.
As always, we know that you?re busy and we want to be respectful of your time. This survey should take only a few minutes to complete. All responses are kept confidential. The survey is for informational purposes only. No one will call or Email you with any sales pitches.
Once again, GFI and ITIC are giving away a free iPad and a free iPod to the survey respondents who provides the most insightful response to the final essay question. So be sure to leave your Email address along with your comment within the Essay question response. Once the survey is done, we'll publish the Executive Summary and survey highlights in WServerNews.
To further show our appreciation, anyone who completes the survey can get a complimentary copy of the Report once it's published by emailing [email protected]. Here?s the survey link: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306156535057
Quotes of the Week
"Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." - Dalai Lama
"It is an immutable law in business that words are words, explanations are explanations, promises are promises but only performance is reality." - Harold S. Geneen.
Warm regards, and thank you for being a WServerNews subscriber. No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. Please tell your friends about us.They can subscribe here: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306157235186
email me: [email protected]
Need more IT security budget? Give This Book To Your Boss
"Anyone who uses a computer connected to the Internet needs to know this information to protect themselves." - H. Heller
"As both an IT Pro and a businessman, I highly recommend this book for anyone concerned about online threats." - C. Contor
"Stu Sjouwerman informs in a way that managers can understand, and "techies" can relate to. He goes in detail about the oft-overlooked (and in my opinion THE most dangerous) part of online security: The Human Element." - Robert Folden
"If you fall victim to a cyberheist after reading Sjouwerman's book, shame on you." -- Dirk A. D. Smith
Buy and Read Cyberheist! http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306158067007
Admin Tools We Think You Shouldn't Be Without
rDirectory's Community Edition is a pre-configured, easy to use, web-based directory and search engine that downloads in just minutes - and it's absolutely free! http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306158155645
Subscribe to the latest hot e-zine: CyberheistNews: 'Arming you with the facts'. Gets you ammo twice a month to defend your network against cybercrime: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1305539030737
Frustrated with gullible end-users causing malware infections? Find out who the culprits are in 10 minutes. Do the Free Phishing Security Test on 100 users!: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306158189458
Webinars & Seminars
System Center Roadmap TeleBriefing: - 5/26
Date: Thursday, May 26, 2011 Time: 10:00 a.m. PDT
Updates to the complete line of Microsoft's System Center management tools were announced at the Microsoft Management Summit (MMS) in March 2011. Improvements in System Center products and emphasis on tools for cloud computing may lead to further adoption of Microsoft's management products, especially in companies with large Microsoft-based server infrastructures.
In this TeleBriefing, Research Vice President Don Retallack discusses Microsoft's strategy for systems management and the roadmap for current and future offerings of the System Center family of products. Register for this TeleBriefing by clicking this link: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306158716588
BriForum 2011: Register today - 7/19-21
The most advanced, technical, hands-on desktop virtualization event is returning to Chicago this July 19-21. Independent industry experts, led by Brian Madden, share the latest tips and strategies around desktop virtualization, VDI, application virtualization, and Remote Desktop Services. In addition, technical staff from the top solution providers in the space will be in attendance so you can ask all your questions and try out these technologies. Don?t miss out on this unique opportunity to
interact with hundreds of your peers from across the globe as well to share best practices and lessons learned. Register today and save! http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306158813531
Free Desktop Virtualization Seminar
Coming to Atlanta, Detroit, and St Louis this June, and 12 other cities throughout the remainder of the year, independent expert and desktop virtualization guru Brian Madden will update you on where the desktop virtualization market is in 2011, focusing on what?s real and what?s not. Spend just a few hours out of the office to take advantage of a live Q&A, peer networking opportunities and tons of valuable information.
Register today! http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306159172049
@TechEd: What?s new in Exchange 2010 Service Pack 2
E2010 SP2 will be released sometime in the second half of 2011, Microsoft revealed at its Tech-Ed conference in Atlanta. It will contain about 500 bug fixes and "at least" four new features, Microsoft Senior Program Manager Greg Taylor told attendees in a presentation to preview the new service pack. The new features are: OWA mini, Hybrid Configuration wizard, Address Book Policy, and OWA auto site redirection. More details at Bink.nu: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306159415749
@TechEd: System Center Orchestrator
System Center Orchestrator (formerly Opalis) provides an IT process automation platform that orchestrates workflows across systems and tasks. This enables customers to lower their costs while improving datacenter service reliability and predictability. Microsoft will release a beta of SC Orchestrator 2012 in June 2011.
PS: Do Not Let Your Domain Expire With Google Apps. Ouch!
Ben Reyes at Posterous wrote: "If you do, anybody can have access to your account, your emails, passwords, calendar and all of your social network accounts. That might not seem like much but to a social engineer (Black Hat Security) it's a goldmine. Old expired domains with Google Apps accounts that are picked up by new owners will still have all your data,
emails, calendar information, e.t.c attached to that domain. MORE: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306159689516
Windows Server News
@TechEd: Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit
Provides data and analysis on IT infrastructure to simplify the planning process needed to migrate existing software to a virtualized or cloud-based environment. Key features in version 6.0 of the MAP Toolkit include the ability to provide consolidation guidance for Hyper-V Cloud Fast Track infrastructures, including computing power, network and storage architectures. Microsoft will release a beta of the MAP Toolkit 6.0 on May 31, 2011. You can find more information on the MAP website: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306159833197
@TechEd: Office 2010 and SharePoint 2010 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
Both will contain updates that improve stability, performance and security. SP1 will consist of minor updates, including all public updates through June 2011 and all cumulative updates through April 2011, in addition to some previously unreleased fixes that were made specifically for this service pack. Users can expect the following:
- Better Internet Explorer 9 browser experience
- Improved Office Web Apps functionality and Microsoft SharePoint database
- Updates to all 40 SKU languages for Microsoft Office, including Galician,
Basque, Catalan and Serbian Cyrillic
- Updates to Microsoft Access 2010, FAST Search Server 2010 for Microsoft
SharePoint, Office Web Apps, Microsoft Project 2010 Search Server 2010
and Microsoft Visio 2010
@TechEd: Updates to the Microsoft Certified Master (MCM) for Exchange
The MCM Exchange Server 2010 program will allow Exchange Server 2010 experts to achieve MCM certification at a lower cost and with more flexibility. In addition, the Exchange Server 2010 program provides Exchange Server experts with trustworthy certification exams in highly secure test sites and with robust exam design to ensure the highest-quality, industry-relevant exams. You can find the updated Microsoft Exchange 2010 MCM program on the MCM
Smooth Your Cloud Transition With Existing IT Investments
While most organizations look to cloud computing to help offload peak demand and back up critical applications, this requires a hybrid cloud which can prove to be a difficult transition. Access this featured tutorial to learn ways to reduce the pain and assure an orderly cloud shift: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306160135657
The Pros And Cons Of Using Storage Virtualization For Virtual Desktops
Deploying virtual desktops tends to be expensive, and achieving adequate performance can be a challenge. In this expert tip you?ll discover why many of your peers are turning to storage virtualization for relief, and the pros and cons of this approach:
Third Party News
@TechEd: Best of 2011 TechEd Security Finalists
Jeff James wrote: "I'm a judge for the Windows IT Pro Best of TechEd Awards this year, and I've had my hands full with choosing from among three excellent finalists in the security category: Accellion Secure Collaboration, Barracuda Web Security Flex, and Scriptlogic Security Explorer 8.0. They're all excellent products, and choosing a winner has been extremely difficult. But choose a winner we did, and you'll see the results soon. Bookmark the Windows IT Pro security page and keep checking back to see which product made the final cut": http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306160918445
@TechEd: VMware Acquires Shavlik
It was announced at TechEd. VMware agreed to acquire Shavlik Technologies, a company we all know that develops management products for small and medium-sized businesses, helping them to manage, monitor and secure both physical and virtual environments. Mark Shavlik explains in his blog post why this is a good deal for all: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306160988501
@TechEd: Three Admin Tools I Liked
- The Spector 360 tool has 50,000 corporate users and is very handy when you want to replay what some one has done, to support and debug what the problem was. It is quite powerful, and does a whole lot more: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306161118847
- OKTA automates user management and single sign-on, and it extends AD to the cloud. This is a very handy tool to get password management under control, over at: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306161140505
- AppAssure showed they were growing by leaps and bounds, with a 162% first quarter year-over year growth of their backup and disaster recovery tool. This is a good piece of software you should check out: http://www.wservernews.com/go/1306161179048
WServerNews FAVE Links
This Week's Links We Like. Tips, Hints And Fun Stuff
- SUPER FAVE It's a bird... It's a plane... It's a -- remote controlled flying superhero. Want to build your own? Detailed plans and instructions available:
- SUPER FAVE 2. A Special For WServerNews subscribers. You can get a free e-book version of the FULL NEW CYBERHEIST book here in PDF format (not just a 'teaser Chapter 1'). This is the -whole- book, a $21.99 value:
- Artists Ronen Verbit and Vanya Polunin took three different videos and assembled them to play on three different iPhones. Quite ingenious:
- Blockbuster movie trailer marriage proposal of the year:
- Scenes taken from Tenerife, more than 2,000 meters above sea level and over a year to capture all possible shades, clouds, stars, colors from a unique landscape and from one of the best skies on the planet:
- The world?s largest and most powerful helicopter can even carry a large
- 13 People Who Got Fired For Tweeting. Watch what you tweet:
- Owl and pussycat are best friends and are having a ?hoot? playing with each other:
- Cute animal Fave of the week: Beagle catching a ball:
- As I have predicted for years, there is now nasty malware just for Mac:
WServerNews - Product of the WeekVisit the Subscription Management section to unsubscribe.
TechGenix.com is in no way affiliated with Microsoft Corp.
Click here for sponsorship information or contact us at [email protected].
Copyright c 2011 TechGenix Ltd. All rights reserved. ##TrackImpression##